Acai and Homemade Granola Bowl, with no added sugar
Nutrition Zone | October 13th 2016 | by Happy Fitness
Native to Brazil, acai berries are exported and used extensively in Hawaii, to the great delight of travellers visiting the islands. They are truly an essential part of any trip to the archipelago. People just love waking up to them for breakfast or enjoying their freshness while on a break between two waves—not to mention the fact that the berries deliver a ton of beneficial antioxidants to the body’s cells!
To put a bit of an exotic spin on our fall season, we have come up with a simple acai bowl recipe, paired with some homemade granola. The granola is very low in sugar, making it the perfect complement to balance out the fruits’ naturally sweet taste. It’s so good and fresh-tasting, it may just make you get up and dance the hula!
Nutritionist’s note: For a complete breakfast, pair your acai bowl with a source of protein (nut butter, hemp seed, Greek yogurt, Allégro cheese, hard boiled egg, soy milk, etc.).
NO SUGAR ADDED HOMEMADE GRANOLA
(Yield: about 600 ml / 2½ cups of cereal)
1 very ripe banana, puréed
15 ml (1 tbsp.) nut butter (your choice: peanut, almond, cashew, etc.)
3 ml (½ tsp.) vanilla
500 ml (2 cups) large oat flakes
65 ml (¼ cup) grated, unsweetened coconut
30 ml (2 tbsp.) whole chia seeds
3 ml (½ tsp.) cinnamon
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 165° C (325° F) and place the rack in the middle position.
- In a bowl, combine the banana purée, nut butter, and vanilla.
- Add the other ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread the granola mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, mixing 2 or 3 times during cooking to ensure that the cereal is evenly browned and crisp, but not burnt. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
2 packets (100 g each) of frozen, unsweetened acai purée (*see note)
1 very ripe banana
125 ml (½ cup) strawberries
3 ml (½ tsp.) lemon juice
Honey, to taste
A handful of homemade (see recipe above) or store-bought granola
¼ ripe banana
A few strawberries
4 or 5 Deglet dates, cut into pieces
- In a food processor or blender, purée the acai berries, banana, strawberries, and lemon juice to a smooth consistency. Taste, and then add a bit of honey.
- Pour into a bowl and top with granola, banana rounds, strawberry slices, and date pieces. Dig in and enjoy!
*Note: Frozen acai purée can be found in certain natural food or health food stores, marketed under the brand name Sambazon® (certified organic and fair trade). If you can’t find any, you can still try the recipe by replacing the acai berries with 335 ml (1-1/3 cup) of frozen blueberries.